I am preparing a presentation on creating a website for freelance translators and have run into the question “Why does a freelance translator need a website?” Many of us belong to translators associations and translation portals and have our own profile there. Isn’t that enough? Here are some benefits that I see of having your own website as a freelance translator.
1. It is very good to be registered on translation portals and in translation directories; however, there you are competing with thousands of other translators. If you have your own website you can personalize the experience visitors get, you can sell your unique services and not be one among many.
2. It creates your own online presence – clients can come to your website, instead of you looking up them. You can create your own message, show samples of your work, testimonials and give potential clients an easy way to contact you.
3. It is a cost advantage compared to print advertising. Internet is very affordable and you are always accessible. It is easy and fast to change the content compared to print media and you can reach a bigger audience.
4. Get found by search engines – 80-95% of all website traffic comes from search engines. Get found by search engines such as Google.
5. Your information is always available 24/7, whenever it is convenient for the visitors.
6. Reach world markets, more people, and become accessible from any country in the world
7. You can post or change information anytime, anywhere (if you manage the website yourself)
8. Cheap market research – See website statistics of how many visitors, from where, how they found you etc. It is also easy to post polls to the visitors.
9. Improve credibility – On a website you can tell potential clients what you offer and why you deserve their trust. Clients can also make more informed buying decisions.
10. Added value – You can provide added value by featuring tips, advice and general interest content. It is also a great complement to the rest of your online presence.
Do you agree? Are there other advantages of having your own website as a freelance translator? I would be happy to hear what you think. Have a great day!