Happy New Year! I hope your year has started well. This is a post directed mostly to my translator colleagues who follow my blog.
I have an idea for an e-book on marketing for translators and I need your help.
I cannot decide on a good title for the book and know that you can give me some great input.
1. Marketing Cookbook for Translators (based on easy to follow marketing recipes focused on freelance translators)
2. Marketing made easy for translators
3. The essentials of marketing for translators
4. Marketing tips for freelance translators
You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or comment on this post.
Where did this idea come from?
During the last months of 2013 I have been evaluating my business and career and made some diversification plans for the future. One inspiration was the book “Diversification in the language industry”, edited and promoted by Nicole Adams from NYA Communications, with several good interviews on diversification in the language industry by many of my colleagues. Other inspiring sources have been many podcasts in the business and marketing category on iTunes and discussions with colleagues during the annual ATA Conference. This weekend I am also attending the New Media Expo in Las Vegas, an expo dedicated to blogging, podcasting, social media and marketing online.
1. Because my education and professional background before becoming a translator was in marketing and I have benefited immensely from this background in my own business and want to share this with others.
2. I simply love helping other less experienced translators, and find it very rewarding to talk about and teach marketing strategies to fellow translators during conferences, courses and webinars.
These days, there is not much time to read books for me anymore, and listening to podcasts have provided a welcome respite from all the reading and writing I do in my job. I listen to podcasts in the car, on my walks, in the gym etc. I have discovered that there are not many podcasts in the translation industry. I truly enjoy “Speaking of Translation”, with Corinne McKay and Eve Bodeux, but I feel there is room for more. Since my – pre-translation – educational and professional background is in marketing, and since the presentations and webinars I have given on this subject in the translation industry have been very well received, I came up with the idea to launch a podcast with marketing tips for translators. It will be focusing on freelance translators and other linguists, with interviews and tips from respected and successful freelance translators on how to market your freelance translation business. The podcast will provide tips on how to contact agencies and direct clients, how to create your marketing tool box, such as a resume and cover letter, creating profiles in directories, using social media for your marketing and much more. What do you think? Stay tuned for the first episode within a month or so.
Thank you very much in advance! Have a wonderful business year in 2014.