I am trying to plan for the next year this week and inevitably start thinking of New Year’s Resolutions. Do you have any for your business? Here are some suggestions:
1. Set three SMART-goals for 2011 (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant (to your business) and Timed)
2. Raise your rates
3. Increase your productivity by eliminating distractions, creating daily to do lists and setting time frames
4. Expand your brand. Use your networks and do everything you can so that others recognize the name of your freelance business
5. Trim your workload. Outsource work that you are not good at and only take on as much as you COMFORTABLY can handle.
6. Improve your client communication. Take time to communicate with your clients by timely replies to e-mails, phone calls and giving them updates.
7. Improve customer service – treat everyone nicely and go the extra mile
8. Improve your skills by taking classes, reading, practicing, learning a new skill etc.
9. Enlarge your network. Connect with others in the same field; create partnerships, give and take referrals.
10. Get back to your passion. You became a freelancer because of your passion. Don’t let other things get in the way for that.
11. Develop a specialty – a new translation specialization or nurture an existing one
12. Set and meet a financial goal
13. Balance work and life – Ha, ha, it is always worth a try.
14. Kick a bad habit – what are you avoiding to do or what are you doing too much?
15. Streamline a process. Identify a problem area that eats your time and try to make it easier, faster, simpler, or outsource.
16. Set specific work hours.
17. Not work on weekends
18. Get new, better, clients.
19. Go to conferences
20. Create a one page marketing plan
These are a few examples. What are your goals for the next year? Dream big! New Year’s Resolutions are only resolutions, usually broken. Perhaps you can set up a few resolutions in front of your computer and look at them each morning, picking one thing to work on that day. Happy New Year!